First Gate Ceremony
Ritual of the First Step
This is the very first ceremony the new Walkers will participate in. It should be held at the Solstice or Equinox closest to 1-2 months after the Parent Orientation, to give the Walkers time to make their staff, token and choose a book, and to give the Guides time to make robes.
The ritual should take place somewhere with a large central area where there will be room to set up a Labyrinth, and have seating for guests. Unlike the other Gate Passages, the First Gate includes its own full circle casting, and should be done seperately from any other rituals.
You will be laying out a Labryinth in the ritual space.
At the entrance to the Labrynth will be one Altar, another will be located at the center of the Labyrinth. At the four quarters should be something marking them, either candles, ribboned poles, posters, or whatever works for your group. Before the ritual, you should collect the Walker’s staffs and tokens.
Altars: On the altar at the entrance to the Labryinth should be:
- An altar cloth in black (see the Gate Passages page for how to make matching altar cloths and Gate curtains)
- 1 each of the following candles: black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, deep blue, violet, white (in that order)
- Salt water and incense
- Deity statues or other representations of Goddess and God
- Representations of each element
On (or near) the altar in the middle of the Labrynth have:
- Alter cloth in white
- 1 white candle for each Walker
- 1 beeswax candle
- The Walkers’ tokens & staffs
- 1 Gate token for each Walker
- The robes